[Image on top is of the completed recipe. Title is “Tortilla Soup”
Recipe is alongside drawings of the various ingredients: Zucchini, avocado, jalapeno pepper, a bag of corn tortillas, a bottle of vegetable oil, a container of salt, garlic, and a can of stewed tomatoes.
1) Slice 4 corn tortillas, a jalapeno, 4 garlic cloves, and a zucchini.
2) Heat 2 spoonfuls of oil in pan and cook the jalapeno, tortillas and garlic.
3) Set aside some cooked tortilla for topping, then toss the rest in blender.
4) Add the zucchini to blender with 1 can of stewed tomatoes and a few sprinklings of salt.
5) Blend and serve with chopped avocado topping and toppings from Step 3.
(Drawing of a pepper or zucchini in a hairnet and apron, ladling out some soup to two garlic bulbs)]
- Blender: hand or standing
- knife & cutting board
This is quite possibly my favourite on-hand soup!
It’s pretty low spoons since most of it’s going in a blender, so your chops don’t have to be amazing, just small enough to not plug anything up. If you don’t have a blender, but you have an hand blender (like me) the same thing applies, but it might take longer if your chops are pretty big.
Because of how simple the recipe is, it loans itself to being switched up VERY well! I like tossing in some onions when I fry up the jalapeños.
If you’re a tomato-hater or don’t have any, no problem either!
When you’re frying up the peppers and tortillas, toss in one or two chopped up carrots. Then, before blending, add a little broth or water to keep things moving (the tomato juice is what keeps this soupy)
Avocado isn’t needed, but it’s always good. I like topping mine off with some cotija, but any other cheese you like is probably good.
edit: image taken and recipe adapted from theveganstoner.blogspot.com
note to our readers: please SOURCE all recipe submissions if you are adapting from another blog!!! it just takes including the original URL. i will not be a part of stealing recipes!!!